The final destination of our journey was Orebić – a small port town located on the Pelješac peninsula on the Dalmatian coast. It is directly across a strait from the town of Korčula, located on the island of the same name.
In the 19th century the town enjoyed a period of extraordinary prosperity. It was was home to large shipyards and an independent merchant fleet. In 1873 the citizens of Pelješac were the owners of 90 sailing boats of about 45,000 tonnes.
To the northwest of the town there is the 961 metre high summit of Sveti Ilija with the Franciscan monastery on it its side. This consists of the monastery house, a maritime museum and a 15th century icon known as Our Lady of the Angels that was brought there by monks from Montenegro.